Monday, December 21, 2009

December 21, 2009 - Avatar 4-D

<< Previous
All Dom Comics
Next >>
Phew, my weekend was a busy one.  I spent lots of time with the wifey's relatives, and ate delicious ribs and chili (not the same meal, though that would have been awesome!).  And, I managed to squeeze in a filler comic and Avatar in IMAX 3-D.

On a separate topic, do any of you remember the old 4-D movies that were (and probably still are) prevalent in theme parks?  I really liked those, getting squirted with water and green food coloring whenever a character on screen sneezed.  This would have also been interesting in Avatar.


Yes, obviously I stole the screen cap and the poster from Avatar.  Yes, I also wish I could have stolen a giant arrow as a souvenir.

The movie is good, and was worth seeing in 3-D for the awesome animation.  The movie resembled some kind of monster cobbled together from Pocahontas, Alice in Wonderland, Apocalyptica, and Starship Troopers; which meant that I liked it.  It also made me want to go back and re-read the Dragonriders of Pern.

There were a few things that bugged me about the movie too.  It was very predictable.  It also bothered me that the poison on the arrows caused heart failure in minutes (basically enough time for the bad guy to look cool in a death scene before keeling over and dying), and yet in Australia, there's toxins on animals that'll get ya in seconds.  I think there's also a frog somewhere that'll also do you in quickly...  It also bothered me that the "sex" scene in there didn't involve the use of their hair brain tendril things. 
I can't decide if the ending left it open for a sequel on purpose (what kind of marine doesn't see Earth retaliating?) or if they just didn't know how to wrap up a long movie up.  (yes, it was long.  I had to pee both before and after the movie).

So, in short, Avatar is a lot like Australia, but with less hot women and less BBQ.  But, it is worth the price of a movie ticket (not the soda though - it's really expensive soda!).  So, a golf clap for James Cameron.  And 8/10 for Avatar.  Go see it on the big screen and enjoy the 300 million they spent on it.

Oh, and RIP Brittany Murphy.  You were hot at one point.  Now your dead.  Found in the shower, very likely naked, and very likey pruny.  Not a good way to go =(

No comments:

Post a Comment